Thursday, September 11, 2008

Event #13 Update

After 5 hours and 30 mintues of play I'm still in the $215 with rebuys. I have about 19,000 chips which puts me at a little more than half of average and in 342nd place out of the 460 players left. 324 make the money which is over $1,000.

The good news is the blinds are still small relative my (and everyone else's) chip stack. When we come back from break we're looking at 400/800 blinds with a 75 chips ante so I'm a long way from all in or fold mode. I feel like I need one more big hand to get me there. Hopefully I'll have one just fall in my lap!

I'm also still in the $215 stud second chance. This one went off with a whopping 32 players! If I'd noticed that it was going to be such a small field before it was too late to unregister I wouldn't have played. First is $2,500+ which is nothing to sneeze at and now that I'm in I'm going to give it everything I've got.

This is amazing! While writing this post I just got the big hand I wanted! HA! I was in the big blind with K9 of clubs and a player open raised to 2,400. He got called in one spot and I decided to take a small gamble hoping to hit the flop hard. The risky aspect of taking a flop with a hand like this is not so much the 1,600 extra chips invested, it's the possiblilty of hitting a K or a 9 and running into a better K or 9 or an overpair.

But I hit the flop pretty hard. It came down K 7 4 with two clubs! While I thought I might be behind, there was no way in hell I was folding top pair and a flush draw! My worst nightmare was checking, having both other players check and having a non club ace drop on the turn. Of course that scenario was extremely unlikely, but nonetheless that's what I was thinking about when I decided to go for the check raise.

The original raiser bet out 4,000 and I moved all in for 16,000 and he snap called me. I was sure it must be a big hand since he spent less time that it takes to blink your eye to think this one over. I was SHOCKED to see him turn over 67! To my absolute horror the turn was a 7 giving him the best hand, but luckily the river was the deuce of clubs and I took down a 40,000 chip pot! Right now I'm in 170th of 412.

No comments:

My WSOP 2023 Plans and Missions

After four and a half years working for StubHub I wrapped up my time there in March. I've been at the poker tables 3-4 days a week since...