Wednesday, September 10, 2008

2008 WCOOP Event #12 ($320 Mixed Hold'em) Recap

Another super early exit for me today. I finished in 1,299th out of 1,496 entrants in today's mixed hold'em event. There was one big hand and one medium hand that did me in.

In the big hand we were playing no limit (a little over an hour into the tournament) and I raised with TT. I got called by a guy who I knew was nuts. I knew he was nuts because not only was he playing a ton of hands, but I had a slew of notes on him from past occasions that we'd played confirming my impressions (on pokerstars you can make notes on other players and then when you encounter them again there is a little icon on their picture letting you know you have a saved note).

So I raised with TT, he called and the flop game down A Q 5. YUCK! I bet out 2/3 of the pot anyway and he just called. The turn was a blank and I decided to give up. I checked and he made a VERY small bet. This game me hope that maybe I did have the best hand, and it gave me a cheap look at the last card. When the river came it was a ten! BINGO! I checked hoping my opponent would bet again and to my extreme delight he moved all in. Of course I instantly called, but was shocked and disappointed to see my him turn over KJ for a straight! ACK!

This left me with about 1,000 of my original 4,000 chip starting stack. A few hands into the limit I picket up JJ and ran into KK. The board came with all cards below ten the whole way and when the hand was over I was broke.

On the bright side because of my satellite play earlier I essentially got into both of today's $320 tournaments for a total of $117. I have the $215 mixed hold'em second chance in about an hour and a half so there's a little action left on the docket today.

No comments:

My WSOP 2023 Plans and Missions

After four and a half years working for StubHub I wrapped up my time there in March. I've been at the poker tables 3-4 days a week since...