Sunday, August 24, 2008

More Comment Responses

Here are two comments I got on my last post:

Dave
Congrats on your recent cashings, I've been reading your blog for a couple of years now, I find your opinions both intresting and imformative, What name do you play under ???, would like to quietly rail you sometime..!, Keep up the good work matey, onwards and upwards and gl with the Fpp's.
Dave from London.

It's always great to hear that people I don't even know are following my progress and rooting for me! My username on pokerstars is acesedai. Hopefully I'll be at a final table when you watch!

Here's the second comment:

Thanks for the response (the complexity of the HORSE issue is turning out to be fascinating). In any case, I've never heard you say anything like this when it comes to poker: "..I suspect I'd get my ass handed to me against top notch players in Omaha for example."

And so I have another question! Is it worth sharpening up your Omaha game, or trying to tune up your HORSE game, because there are HORSE games that are out there for such insane amounts of money? If not, why not? Jenn



Let me start by saying that I may have exaggerated when I said I'd get my ass handed to me against top notch Omaha players. I know enough and am good enough that I wouldn't get totally blasted. The problem is I've probably only played 25,000 hands of Omaha in my entire life. Whereas I've played over 2,000,000 hands of hold'em. In poker experience is a huge deal and I simply haven't had enough to compete with players who know all the ins and outs.

Actually this is all supposition since I've never played Omaha for big money. Maybe I'd find that I'm better than I think!

As far as trying to improve so I can play the super duper big HORSE games I have to say they are so far out of my comfort zone in terms of the amount of money that I couldn't see playing them even if I knew I was the best player. In the $200/$400 game just calling a hand to the end in one of the stud based games with no raising will cost you $1,600. With heavy raising you could easily put $4,000 in on one pot. I'm a few years away from being emotionally ready to handle those kind of swings.

If I want to play for more money I can play $50/$100 hold'em or bigger tournaments or whatever. There are tons of ways I can get more dollars into play if I want to. One of the things that has made me a successful pro is I've moved up the limits very gradually. As my skills have improved I've played for bigger stakes, but I haven't taken too many huge risks.

With that said I'm going to play a dozen multitable tournaments with buy ins totaling about $2,500 today! Hopefully I can take at least one deep.

No comments:

My WSOP 2023 Plans and Missions

After four and a half years working for StubHub I wrapped up my time there in March. I've been at the poker tables 3-4 days a week since...